Sunday, March 1, 2009

Zhatpat upama (Quick semolina)

I know, almost in every state of India upama is known as breakfast item. Why to bother to see another recipe? It's real quick. When you really need something tasty and fast, this recipe can do justice. I learned it from my mother-in-law who was here to take care of me and my kid when I needed it most. Whatever may be the outcome but I should mention that she was great help in those days. She is a nice person. Another truth, I don't make it that often, almost every time my husband makes it. Anyways, here goes the recipe her/his way.

Ingredients:
2 cups rawa/sooji(semolina)
1/2 cup curd
11/2 cup hot water.
1/2 medium size onion(cut in squares)
1 teaspoon chili powder(as much you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3-4tablespoon canola oil (any oil /more or less)
seasoning and salt to taste.

Method:

Heat the oil in medium size pan. Add mustard after it splitter add onion followed by chili powder, turmeric, salt and mix well. Now add semolina and let it roast for 5-6 minutes or till it changes color a bit.
















Add Water and curd mix well. Cook for few minutes after water/curd get absorbed .All done.















Serve hot and garnish with cilantro. You can garnish with onion too. Enjoy. See you with my next post, till then take care. Have a nice day everybody. Bye bye.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gouri, u made a new blog or what??,
    Anyways, this header is looking nice.., My cousin also does upma this way sometimes ,for a change..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to this big world of blogging. Nice recipe for upma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep sure you can participate, Rt. now 2 events are Gng on my blog,,SWC:Soups, N AFAM: Cucumber, u can send entries to both of them..
    Abt linking, u can my post, double ka meetha, or Event label, to check how to link back to the host blogs.
    I'm there if u need further help..

    ReplyDelete