Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pav-Bhaji I(Buns with spicy veg mix)




I don't remember when i first made pavbhaji, but I know that the taste has considerably improved when I make it under the guidance of(hehe) my very nice sweet dear friend.
Whenever my mom felt like she was 'can we make pavbhaji today, you make it really nice'. I was more than happy to make it. I was in hurry to post this recipe for my dear friends P, R.
Here it goes the recipe my/her way.
Ingredients:
4 medium size potato(gives 5 cups when cubed)
3 cups cut cauliflower
1 cup peas
1 cup cut cabbage
1 cup cut carrot
11/2 cup cut tomatoes
3/4 cut onion+extra for garnish
1 teaspoon garlic
3 green chilli(not hot at all)
3/4teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3 teaspoon Everest pav bhaji masala(recommended but u can use other brand)
1 teaspoon black masala/garam masala
salt to taste
5 tablespoon ghee/butter + more for pav

Method:
Pressure cook all the vegetables(potatoes, cauliflower,peas, cabbage,carrot etc).
Heat a large pan, add 5tbspoon ghee. Add garlic, before it turns brown add onion. Cook till tender, add all the spices mix well. Turn in tomatoes, cook till mush. Add cooked vegetables and salt. Cook for few more minutes, adjust the water acoording to consistency of your desire.
Put butter on both side of pav/buns. Garnish bhaji with onion and cilantro. Seve hot with buns and piece of lemon. Oila!

Substitute/Add:
I wanted to add green bell pepper but had none in hand. So, if you want you can add it 1-2 cups.
Lauki(dudhi/opal squash) goes well in pavbhaji(1-2cups). If you want and if you are making pavbhaji on large scale you can add eggpant or brinjals(cut 1 cup to even 2cups). i like eggplant for it gives nice color not for taste. Adding carrots and peas in more quantity(gives nice red/green color) can make pav bhaji sweeter so addjust the tomatoes and spices accordingly. I like Everest pavbhaji masala, but you can use other brands too.

Enjoy. See you with my next post, till then take care. Have a nice day everybody. Bye bye.

4 comments:

  1. looks good Gowri, I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Asha, I am so glad, your the first one from my friends to comment. Try and let me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Prasad, i didn't know it was you. It feels nice to post if somebody comments. So, thnaks.

    ReplyDelete