Friday, February 20, 2009

Pooran-poli

I had hard time making this recipe, pooran-poli right. After so many trial and error I can make it(at least I think so) as it supposed to be, even so I am calling myself as cook(haha). Some how it was my first blog but some crazy idea(may be discouraged a little) I deleted it. I learned my lesson. Destruction can happen within seconds or with just one click, but construction requires a hard work, motivation, thoughts and so on so forth. My first blog I posted was on 10 February, my mom's birthday(I realized it afterwords otherwise I would never have deleted my blog).Other thing I realized that pooran-poli is not limited to Maharashtra/Marathi festive but it is popular in all over India. Check the variation in method on blog Viji. As holi is coming soon thought of posting this recipe of pooran-poli again. So,here is the recipe my way.

Ingredients:
For pooran:-
1 cup chana dal/split Bengal gram
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder(optional)

For dough:-
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt




Method:
Mix the salt and flour together and knead the dough adding little bit water at a time. To keep the dough stiff yet smooth add little bit ghee(clarified butter).
Pressure cook the chana dal. Discard water if any from cooked dal. Transfer dal to thick bottom vessel and put on stove. Add sugar. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes. Pooran will start to splitter so used long spatula or spoon, stirring continuously so that mixture should not burn. When almost get thickened(15-20minutes), add cardamom and nutmeg powder. Remove from heat.
Grind it using pooran yantra or mixer.
Roll out the dough, place a spoonful of pooran wrapping properly inside dough. Roll out.
Heat the tawa or pan then put the pooran poli over it. Put some butter or ghee on both side of poli(you can avoid ghee altogether if you want)while roasting it. Serve hot with ghee/curd/milk with little bit ghee.





Variation in recipe:You can add grated coconut to the pooran while making pooran poli.
You can make Pooran poli using jaggery or half sugar/half jaggery.
If you do not want pooran to grind through mixer or don't have pooran yantra then mash the dal first to paste by spoon then add sugar and heat it.


Enjoy. See you with my next post, till then take care. Happy holi. Bye bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment